The Graph Tools | Digitize | Digitize command activates the display of graph values on the status bar and allows you to write graph's data values to a data file. As you move the pointer, the X, Y (and Z if applicable) axes values for the current mouse position are shown in the status bar. Click the left mouse button and the report window is displayed. The axes values for the clicked point are written to the report window. Each time the mouse is clicked, a small, temporary red symbol is drawn, and the data values for the current mouse position are written to the report window. In this way, you can digitize information from graphs and easily create data files from the digitized information.
Select a plot to activate the Digitize command. If any other objects are selected, e.g., entire graphs, axes, titles, drawing objects, the Digitize command is not available. Digitizing is available only for 2D graph types. You can set the default digitize properties, e.g., number of decimal places or symbol properties, using the Digitize Format options in the File | Options command.
Use the axis label formatting to configure the values that are recorded in the Digitize window. If the Label source property in an axis Labels property page is set to Automatic, the format of the digitized data will match the defined axis label format. If the Label source property is set to From worksheet, the format of the digitized data will match the worksheet data.
To use the Digitize command:
- Create a graph (such as a line/scatter plot) or calibrate a bitmap or picture with coordinates, and then select the object you created.
- Choose the Graph Tools | Digitize | Digitize command and the cursor becomes a cross-hair cursor.
- As you move the cross-hair cursor within the window, the graph values for the position are displayed in the status bar.
- Click the left mouse button to write the current values to the report window. You can add several points using this process.
- When you are finished using the Digitize command, click on any tool button, select another command, or press the ESC key.
- Save the data as a text file .TXT or a rich text file .RTF.
Before selecting the Digitize command, zoom in on the graph for greater precision in digitizing.
Changing the Digitizing Symbol
To change the digitizing symbol:
- Click the File | Options command.
- In the Options dialog, click on Digitize Format on the left side of the dialog.
- On the right side of the dialog, click the next to Symbol.
- Select the Symbol by clicking on the existing symbol and selecting the desired symbol from the list.
- Change the symbol size, color, or other symbol properties if desired.
- Click OK to return to the plot window.
- Click on the plot and click the Graph Tools | Digitize | Digitize command.
- Click in the plot and the new symbol will be displayed.