Use the Graph Tools | Digitize | Digitize Fixed command to digitize only those points that are directly on a line/scatter, function, or step plot. When using this command, the pointer is "locked" to the plot. Points that are not on the plot cannot be digitized with this command. Use Graph Tools | Digitize | Digitize if you wish to digitize other points or if you need to digitize from a bitmap graph.
Select a plot to activate the command. If any other objects are selected, e.g., entire graphs, axes, titles, drawing objects, the Digitize Fixed command is not available. Digitizing is available only for 2D graph types. Additionally, the Digitize Fixed command is not available if the plot contains no data points. You can set the default digitize properties, e.g., number of decimal places or symbol properties, using the Digitize Format options in the File | Options command.
Use the axis label formatting to configure the values that are recorded in the Digitize window. If the Label source property in an axis Labels property page is set to Automatic, the format of the digitized data will match the defined axis label format. If the Label source property is set to From worksheet, the format of the digitized data will match the worksheet data.
To use the Digitize Fixed command:
- Create a line/scatter, function, or step plot, and then select the plot.
- Choose the Graph Tools | Digitize | Digitize Fixed command. The cursor becomes a cross-hair cursor.
- As you move the cross-hair cursor within the window, the graph values for the position along the plot are displayed in the status bar.
- Click the left mouse button to write the current values to the report window. Each time the mouse is clicked, a small, temporary red symbol is drawn and the values for the current mouse position are written to the report window. You can add several points using this process. Any point on the plot can be digitized.
- When you are finished using the Digitize Fixed command, press the ESC key.
- Save the data as a text file .TXT or a rich text file .RTF.
To change the digitizing symbol:
- Click the File | Options command.
- In the Options dialog, click on Digitize Format on the left side of the dialog.
- On the right side of the dialog, click the next to Symbol.
- Select the Symbol by clicking on the existing symbol and selecting the desired symbol from the list.
- Change the symbol size, color, or other symbol properties if desired.
- Click OK to return to the plot window.
- Click on the plot and click the Graph Tools | Digitize | Digitize command.
Click on the screen and the new symbol will be displayed.